Monday, August 29, 2005
MOON and SEEDS
Inspired by the Spring 05 issue of Cloth Paper Scissors, I tried my hand at fusing tissue paper to felt using fusible web and an iron, then embellishing it with paints (watercolor and acrylic) and adding some stitching and beads. The results, "Seeds" and "moon", pleased me enough to be placed into the journals. "Moon" is in AMW's, "Seeds", in Calla's.
Wednesday, August 24, 2005
Wednesday, August 10, 2005
Zhenia sent me some delicious appetizer sized morsels of CHiyogami, a beautiful type of Japanese paper printed in delightful patterns and colors with gold accents. I used two of said pieces to create these free expression tag decos, one for Tam and one for myself, for a swap via Quality Decos.
Monday, August 08, 2005
This time I decided to tear myself away from my safe comforting watercolors and actually open one of the jars of acrylics I bought two months ago! I wanted to play around with creating backgrounds and textures using various wacky printing methods. I painted on and then printed bubble wrap, a feather, embossed paper and a seasponge. I also used both tulle and a perforated ribbon as a stencil, rolled grooved beads strung on a wire through paint and then across paper, and attached various things to a brayer before rolling it on paper. The "print" results were pleasing, and because of the viscosity of acrylics, have a wonderful dimensional texture to them!
Saturday, August 06, 2005
I must admit it was intimidating being the first entrant into this beautiful art journal Kelli made...but I am pleased with what I learned! I decided to play around with manipulating watercolors (In this case I used both Twinkling H20s and Winsor &Newtons) for interesting backgrounds. In some ways this almost felt like bullying, since I think of watercolors as so pure and innocent, mere water and pigment, that pushing them around with solvents and chemicals seemed harrasing. But the end result were very gratifying. On each page I tagged the samples I inserted with a/b/c stickers which coordinate with a list on the back of the tag on page two telling what techniques and materials were used. For example A, on page one(second from top)I painted a coffee filter with purple and blue wcs, then painted the leaves and flower with bleach gel. The end result looked surprisingly like a batik. The striated (D) background below it has a wood grain quality, when in fact it was a wash of blue, followed by some stripes of rubber cement, followed by a wash of purple. After dry, I rubbed the rubber cement away to reveal the blue underneath. The splotchy (B) and (F) are wet watercolors dripped with rubbing alcohol. And the butterfly (E) is brown paper stamped with a rs dipped in bleach gel.
On page 2, (top picture) the greenish envie that holds the tag and bits of collagable scraps it painted with the H20s again, and once dry, stamped with bleach gel. The surface of the tag itself was treated with the rubbing alcohol drops, then once dry, was squiggled on with rubber cement follwed by a darker wash and subsequent removel of the rubber cement. Multiple abuses of the innocent watercolors, but wild results. I really enjoyed this whole series of experiments!